We understand that the world is in a chaotic and crazy state of mind with Covid-19 spreading as fast as it has been and as the world begins to shut down around us, we would like to offer some advice and maybe a positive outlook to help you through it. We are all dealing with the same pandemic so let your optimism help you get through it and help others get through it as well. Don’t get caught up in the panic, just breathe and enjoy nature as it was intended, look for those things at home you wanted to do but didn’t have the time. March is the perfect time to start your Spring clean ups, whether its in your garden, around your house or inside your house, quarantine doesn’t have to be scary, it’s time to get creative. If you have a garden start getting it into shape, if you don’t have a garden think about starting one, if you don’t have a yard get some pots together and fill them with Topsoil or Garden Mix for vegetables or flowers. Nature is good medicine and optimism is always your friend, just because the world is forcing you into isolation doesn’t mean you can’t do things, embrace it and enjoy what you create.
We have put together six steps to getting your garden back into shape.
- Remove Debris- Start your clean-up efforts by picking up larger items in the yard like fallen tree branches, then move on to raking up the dead leaves and remaining twigs. If you use a metal rake you can remove dead turf. By raking you are allowing the grass more sunlight exposure.
- Prune & Trim-Trim back all overgrown shrubs, plants and trees making sure to remove all diseased, dead or damaged parts. This is also a good time to cut back ornamental grasses. You can either compost all your yard waste to use on your garden, or bag it up and bring it to Fick Supply for a small disposal fee.
- Map Out Landscaping and Planting- Before you physically add your dream landscape elements, go outside with a notebook and sketch out any new ideas you may have for your project. It’s a low-cost way to explore options and prevent costly mistakes.
- Amend Soil- Dig into your soils to add oxygen and to relieve compaction. Add Grow Green Compost and till in giving your plants a nice jump-start with a nutrient rich environment.
- Begin Planting! -Early spring can be beneficial for cold weather plants like Pansies, Sweet pea and Poppies. If you have a vegetable garden you can plant lettuce, asparagus, spinach and radish. Check with your local nursery to get planting dates for all your favorite perennials and annuals.
- Mulch-Mulching helps maintain moisture in your soil and it will also act as a weed barrier. Not only will it give your beautiful garden a clean polished look, it is very beneficial. Not sure which mulch to choose? Give us a call and our knowledgeable staff will be more than happy to help you pick out the perfect mulch for your project.
Our optimism at Fick Supply Service does not mean that we are disregarding or downplaying what is happening around us, we just believe in the magic of good intentions and want to support everyone through positive vibes. We wish everyone good health.